You may not have noticed so far, but after the initial release of AIMMS 4.0 in July, we have silently also released a number of bug fixes for AIMMS 4.0. This is part of a new release scheme that we have introduced with the arrival of AIMMS 4.0. The goal of this new release scheme is to bring innovations and bug fixes to you in a substantially faster manner.
How it used to be
In the AIMMS 3.x series you were used to us introducing new features through more or less quarterly feature releases, which culminated in a yearly production release, ready for use in production scenarios. For every production release of AIMMS 3.x we provided bug fixes through quarterly software update releases for a period of two years. While this scheme worked fine in theory, in practice many customers only used production releases for development, and consequently new features were only adopted after they appeared in a production release. When you reported an issue, it could easily take up to four months before you got a software update release that fixed your issue. As very little people can wait for a fix that long, in practice most AIMMS modelers were forced to work around the issues they reported. A situation that neither we nor our customers were very happy about.
How it will be
As of the release of AIMMS 4.0, we will employ a completely different release scheme:
- The latest AIMMS version that introduces new features into AIMMS, will be denoted as the current version. At this moment the current version is AIMMS 4.0.
- In the current version, we will fix issues reported in any supported AIMMS version, and we strive to release bug fix releases containing such fixes with minimal delay. Bug fix releases are numbered 4.0.1, 4.0.2, etc. As we continue to automate more and more steps of our release process and testing procedures, this could mean that you might potentially see multiple bug fix releases appear in a single week. Obviously, such bug fix releases are only relevant to you if you are affected by the issues solved in them. To avoid confusion which bug fix release to use, you will only find the latest bug fix release of the current AIMMS version on our website.
- When new features are introduced into a new AIMMS version, the minor version number will be increased by one, and the new AIMMS version released will become the new current version. For example, the first new current version after AIMMS 4.0 will be AIMMS 4.1. You are only entitled to use a version of AIMMS if your license is in maintenance at the time of release.
- We will not automatically fix issues in non-current AIMMS versions (like in AIMMS 4.0 when AIMMS 4.1 has become the new current version) as you were used to with AIMMS 3.x. We will, however, fix issues in non-current AIMMS versions on demand, provided that the issue reported occurs in a stable AIMMS application during production usage of that application. We will not fix issues in non-current versions
- if they are the result of you adding substantially new features to your AIMMS application,
- if the issue is the result of an Operating System upgrade for which the AIMMS version at hand was not designed, or
- if the Operating System on which the issue occurs, is no longer supported by its manufacturer.
If an on-demand bug fix request is made, we will, again, try to release the bug fix release with minimal delay.