AIMMS 3.9 – Preview of new features
We are currently developing the following features to enhance your AIMMS experience and provide new options to extend the ability to enable OR. A release of these features is scheduled to be released in Q1 of 2009 (AIMMS 3.9):
Nonlinear Math Program Inspector
The Math Program Inspector (MPI) in AIMMS will also become available for nonlinear models (NLP). The MPI can list the generated nonlinear constraints and several new nonlinear-related statistics. The MPI matrix view can visually indicate matrix blocks that contain nonlinearities (see picture), and the MPI also reports the reductions that have been realized by the nonlinear presolver.
Benefits: The MPI enables you to drill down into your nonlinear programs to analyze the causes of infeasibilities, unrealistic results and other problems associated with solving your math program.
New features of the CPLEX solver will be accessible from AIMMS:
- Performance tuning
- Storing multiple MIP solutions with solution pool filters
- Lazy constraints
- User-cut pool
- Branching callbacks
The power of branching callbacks will be illustrated with a new, advanced variant of the AIMMS Outer Approximation (AOA) algorithm, based on the approach of Quesada & Grossman (1992). This approach uses branch-and-cut in combination with outer approximation, and often solves convex models with binary variables much faster than other algorithms.
Benefits: AIMMS enables you to use advanced CPLEX 11 options to develop specialized applications without the need to write complicated code or solver files.
New version of the MOSEK solver
AIMMS will support the newest version of the MOSEK solver, version 5. The MOSEK 5 solver can be used with AIMMS to solve LP, QP, QCP, MIP, MIQP and MIQCP models, and now also convex NLP models.
Additional database functionality
A number of database functions will be introduced, which give the AIMMS user access to detailed database information, like the number and names of all tables in a database and the details of all columns in a table.
New features in the Integrated Development Environment (IDE)
- The AIMMS debugger can be activated automatically on the line where a run-time error occurs, helping you to locate and fix problems quickly during application development.
- The Cross Library Reference dialog box offers a feature to manage preferred and non-preferred references between projects, and it allows for the printing of all cross references.
- The new Identifier Info dialog box offers an easy way to quickly jump to the declaration, attributes or data of an identifier based on its name.
Enhanced pivot table functionality
The pivot table functionality will be enhanced extensively, making it an even more versatile object to use in your GUI:
- You can display cell values as small horizontal bars in the pivot table (see picture).
- You can show multiple line element text in the pivot table.
- You can specify whether or not aggregators should be present for each identifier separately.
- You can use indexed references and identifiers that are indexed over the set AllIdentifiers to specify the default properties for identifiers in a pivot table.
- End-Users can restore or reset the pivot table state.
Other enhancements in the Graphical User Interface (GUI)
- GIS Link: you can obtain the background for network objects also from Microsoft Virtual Earth server. The Geocoding functionality will be reintroduced, allowing you to retrieve latitude/longitude coordinates automatically.
- Gantt chart: you can give rows alternating background colors, and the background of specific periods along the x-axis can be colored individually (see picture).
- Pie charts: you can automatically calculate and display the percentages of all pie slices.
- Excel: End-Users can copy data more easily from an AIMMS GUI to Excel, using a new function to copy data from a table, composite table or pivot table to a specific range in an Excel sheet.
The collection of AIMMS application examples will be enlarged, e.g. with examples in Economics:
- Life-Cycle Consumption Optimization
- Economic Exchange Equilibrium
Please note that this information is provisional. Paragon reserves the right to change the specifications until the release without notification.
This newsitem as PDF